News Blog

Five Public Artworks Receive Restorative Treatments

Through support provided by the City of Atlanta and Renew Atlanta, five public artworks in the City’s Public Art Collection, managed by Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs, were recently restored by Patrick Kipper, a fine arts patineur and conservator.

Kipper performed conservation treatments on Atlanta from the Ashes (pictured above), designed by Jim Seigler, located in Woodruff Park; Ceremonial Circle by Maria Artemis — located at 254 Peachtree St. SW; Threshold by Robert Llimos — located at Boone Park; the Five Points Monument, created by George Beasley –located at the Five Points intersection; and the Henry W. Grady Monument by Alexander Doyle — located at the corner of Marietta Street NW at Forsyth Street NW.

Commissioned in 1967, Atlanta from the Ashes symbolizes Atlanta’s rise to become a global city. Dedicated and installed in 1969, the sculpture depicts a woman being lifted from flames by a phoenix, a reference to the mythological Egyptian creature that rose from its ashes.

Created by Atlanta-based artist Maria Artemis in 1994, Ceremonial Circle is an inlaid circular plaque made with sandblasted text. The work has decorative swirls and is labeled with familial relationships: mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter, friend, etc.

Relocated from Underground Atlanta to the City’s newly opened Boone Park, Threshold, created by Robert Llimos, is a bronze sculpture from Barcelona, Spain that joined the City’s art collection as part of an Olympic cultural exchange in 1996. A spectrum of colors beautifies the figure in the doorway, summoning ideas of diversity and multi-culturalism.

The Five Points Monument is an asymmetrical sculpture that commemorates the historic intersection where trolley tracks, an artesian water tower, and the five streets that form the heart of Downtown Atlanta. The sculpture’s traditional girder construction is an ode to early water towers constructed during the 19th century while its structural steel trusses allude to the trolley tracks now buried below the street. An adjacent smaller sculpture displays texts that focus on the history and destination of each of the five streets forming the intersection: Peachtree Street., Edgewood Avenue, Decatur Street, Whitehall Street (South Peachtree), and Marietta Street.

Dedicated on October 21, 1891, to 25,000 on-lookers, the Henry W. Grady Monument is a bronze sculpture that memorializes Atlanta’s famous “New South” advocate and editor of The Atlanta Constitution (now known as The Atlanta Journal-Constitution).Two bronze statues of women sitting on benches with footstools rest on both sides of the base. The women each hold a wreath with an inscription taken from an address Grady delivered in Boston in 1889.
“This hour little needs the loyalty that is loyal to one section and yet holds the other in enduring suspicion and estrangement. Give us the broad and perfect loyalty that loves and trusts Georgia alike with Massachusetts that knows no South, no North, no East, no West; but endures with equal and patriotic love every foot of our soil, every State in our Union.”